Cast of Characters

Cast of Characters:
Me, the Boston Pobble: Indiana Jones wanna-be, city girl, carnie-at-heart; Lithus: helicopter pilot, partner in crime, best friend, husband;
Various: mechanics, employers, companies and locals we are lucky enough to meet along the way.

Friday, June 6, 2014

My Scarf

This is my scarf:


I originally got it to wrap around my shoulders ~ in the NOLA sun to keep from burning, and in the NOLA restaurants' air conditioning that tends to be set at frigid for the tourists. When we were leaving for Cedar City last weekend, I grabbed it up and put it with my jacket. No reason; just because.

It is now part of my travel ensemble. Just during that one travel day I...

~ used it as a blanket because it is (unbeknownst to me) long enough to reach from my ankles to shoulders and wide enough to tuck in on either side of me
~ balled it up as a pillow
~ protected my hands from a super-heated metal handle
~ sat on it instead of a metal bumper
and yes
~ wrapped it around my neck to protect from sunburn
~ wrapped it around my shoulders to protect from air conditioning

I've written about my knife and other road necessities. From here on out, my scarf is right up there with those.

1 comment:

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

I met a woman some years back that traveled to Africa frequently to work with people in small villages, of little means. She always, always had a scarf with her, and told me about how she picked up the habit from the women she worked with—they always had a piece of fabric with them...for many of the reasons you mentioned, along with use for carrying a baby, and (you'll hate this) wiping dirty noses.

I have ever since carried a thin scarf with me wherever I go. It takes up no space in the bottom of my bag or purse, it's perfect to take the chill off when the sun goes down, or wrap around my neck when it's freezing.

I have also, ever since, made the habit of picking one up from every travel destination, and for the most part, I know which came from where "this is my michigan scarf, this one my jamica scarf."

I'll send you a pic of my cool scarf hanger that we got from a retail business going out of sale.