Cast of Characters

Cast of Characters:
Me, the Boston Pobble: Indiana Jones wanna-be, city girl, carnie-at-heart; Lithus: helicopter pilot, partner in crime, best friend, husband;
Various: mechanics, employers, companies and locals we are lucky enough to meet along the way.

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

What Gets Grabbed

Traveling as much as we do, things happen. Some good things, some bad things, some things that turn out to be neither. Today, the fire alarm in the hotel went off. I've been in 3 hotels when alarms have gone off. For me, there's a moment of stillness as I figure out what the sound is, but once the sound's meaning has registered, I move quickly. I don't run, I don't rush. I do move with alacrity.

This time, I grabbed my leather duffle, shoved Bear, Snorlax, and Lithus' Nexus pad into it, slung my backpack over my shoulder, looked out the peephole in my door and headed out. Made it across the parking lot less than 90 seconds after I'd first heard the alarm.

Slowly, it dawned on those of us out there that the staff wasn't pouring out of the building, so I went in to ask. There was no one at the desk or in the lobby. As I was walking back out, another woman was going in. By the time she came out, she had news ~ the alarm was set off by accident and they were working on getting it turned off.

So, we all went back in. It's still wicked noisy and annoying as I write this, but annoying is much less bothersome than on fire.

No comments: