Cast of Characters

Cast of Characters:
Me, the Boston Pobble: Indiana Jones wanna-be, city girl, carnie-at-heart; Lithus: helicopter pilot, partner in crime, best friend, husband;
Various: mechanics, employers, companies and locals we are lucky enough to meet along the way.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Acclimation

A year ago, Lithus and I were bombing over the countryside of Mexico, getting a helicopter from Cancun, across the border and up to South Lake Tahoe, California. We'd been in Mexico for a little while, were well acclimated, which was a damn good thing, given that the air temperature was about 104 F. The ground temperature was pushing 120. (Note, I'll see if I can find pictures. I've got them...I just don't know if I can find them) We reached the US in time to celebrate our youngest nephew's 7th birthday. Outside, in a park, in approximately 80 degree weather.

I was so cold I had to borrow a sweater from my sister. A week later, I drove through the Nevada dessert without the air conditioning and the windows barely cracked, perfectly comfortable.

A year later, we're in Galena, Alaska. Today, we were walking back from lunch, sweating. It is hot. No, it is hot. The sun is beating down; there's almost no wind; the clouds are on the horizon. Hot.

I just checked NOAA. It's 74.

What a difference a year makes.

No comments: